How can we make our photographs stronger, more compelling? It’s actually quite simple. The art of visual storytelling and connecting with your viewers to create GREAT photographs really boils down to two simple things: Leading the eye to the main subject or point of interest in your photo, and doing so with your own artistic expression. This is all accomplished by finding our focus, both technically and artistically.
FINDING FOCUS: Understanding Your Camera’s Eye by Nicole S. Young is a remarkable guide to achieving truly great photography by way of advanced focusing techniques both in-camera, and in post-processing (in Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom). These insights and techniques are applicable to all genres of photography including people, landscapes, macro, cityscapes, you name it! Focus is what leads our eyes through an image, and creative use of both focus and blur can help to enhance our visual storytelling.
One of the many interesting insights in this eBook is the chapter on lens compression and the dramatic effect that focal length can have on the outcome of an image. Here are a couple of from FINDING FOCUS to illustrate how lens compression affects an image even when the subject is framed similarly at different focal lengths:
Here’s what you’ll gain from this eBook:
- Aperture, depth of field (DOF), the lens, and the camera
- Why you should be using DOF preview and Manual Focus (and how)
- Words of caution and the most common mistakes to avoid
- Advanced focus techniques and storytelling for various photographic genres
- Advanced post-processing focus and blur techniques in Photoshop and Lightroom
Hey, there’s a discount!
Whether you are learning photography as a beginner, a hobbyist, or you are a professional, there’s no better investment in the continued growth of your photography for $5, although today thru June 24th, 2012, you get it for only $4 with the discount code: FOCUS4 or us the code FOCUS20 to get 20% off if you are purchasing any 5 or more eBooks (codes expires at 11:59pm PST August 19th, 2012).
The downloadable PDF is just $5USD. (or only $4 today if you use the discount code: FOCUS4)
You can view some page samples or download the ebook here: FINDING FOCUS: Understanding the Camera’s Eye
Happy Photographing folks!
Latest posts by Dave (see all)
- How a Photography Project 365 Can KILL Your Creativity - January 20, 2014
- The Camera that Every Photographer Wants to Own - January 16, 2014
- Free Photoshop Snowglobe Action from PhotographyBB - December 24, 2013